Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Low Fat- Low Sugar Flapjacks


So as you guys know, I love baking but I'm really really trying to improve my diet and eat a lot healthier, NOT all about losing weight but to tone my body for summer and to also feel better in myself. I've heard that eating healthier can improve your moods, fatigue and to give you a little more energy, although I do still let myself indulge in the odd chocolate bar or takeaway.

Because baking can be quite unhealthy, I've been looking for ways to reduce the fat and sugar content in dishes which I bake, and while trawling the internet I found this little gem of a recipe- I alterered it slightly, but here is the original recipe: Click Here.  These flapjacks contain no sugar and margerine instead of butter which makes them alot healthier and better for you. My mum hates the idea of cooking with margerine, but to be really honest I can never notice a difference in taste, so used it to reduce the fat content in the flapjacks.  As opposed to adding sugar, a mixture of apple juice and crushed dates is made into a paste and added to the melted butter.

I was really pleased with the way they turned out, they weren't overly sweet which was actually a really nice change to the usual, bog-standard flapjacks and it also made them really gooey, which I looove in cakes and treats. The fact these are less than 185cal also makes them a lot more appealing as for a good sized portion you're not using up a horrific amount of calories.

Ingredients:
* 150g Margerine/ Butter
* 150g Chopped Dates
* 3tbsp Apple Juice
* 100g Raisins
* 225g Rolled Oats

Method:
1) Pre-heat the oven to 190 and grease a small baking tray- I lined it with greaseproof paper too, just to make it a little easier to get them out.
2) Add the dates and apple juice into a food mixer and process until smooth. I actually left it a little lumpy to add to the texture but basically blend to the texture you're happy with. Also; I tried to use a electric hand mixer but this was not a good idea- Let's say; a date explosion happened in my kitchen
3) Melt the butter into a pan, but be careful not to boil, as trying to remove burnt butter is not easy!
4) Add the date mixture and stir in gently
5) Next, add everything else, so- dried fruit and oats, stirring to make sure all of the mixture is coated.
6) Bake in the oven for approximateley 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. (don't bake until "hard" because they will probably be burnt by that point! And I don't know about you guys, but I'm not a fan of the burnt taste ;) )

If any of you have any suggestions for recipes to try, then feel free to comment below or tweet me as I'm up for writing more posts like this and trying new healthy recipes! 


No comments:

Post a Comment