Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Make Up Free Month!

Quite a different post today; but I've been wanting to write this post for quite a while now, for a month during my A-level exams I went a month with no make up... not even a spot of concealer or mascara...make up free. At first I was a little nervous and worried because make up seems to be a barrier or 'mask' you can put on everyday to make yourself feel more confident and dressed up, that's how I see it for me anyways. But over the month I began to accept myself for the natural me rather than the 'made up' one who has contoured cheek bones and longer eye lashes. It felt quite refreshing being able to get up and leave rather than spending half an hour applying make up, not to say I don't enjoy doing it! 


Maybe this is my version of the whole 'No Makeup Selfie' thing, but I just felt that not wearing makeup at all actually improved the physical appearance of my skin but also the way I perceived myself, I mean some of you may be reading this and thinking its all a bit dramatic but these are simply my personal thoughts. Before this; I would have never felt confident going out with no make up on, especially to college where for the two years I was there, had never gone a day without mascara or concealer. But I feel like now, I am far more comfortable to just head out into town or to friends' houses and not feel the need to make an effort with my face! 


In addition; my skin physically improved...Alot. It was almost like a skin detox and gave my skin time to heal from spots and blemishes which had left my skin looking a little down, especially with all the stress. But now I don't need to wear foundation a lot because my skin has improved quite a bit and I don't feel I need to hide behind foundation all the time, I've learnt to embrace the freckles! 
Saying all this; it doesn't mean I don't wear make up now- I still love applying different looks and messing around with it, it just means that I don't feel I have to wear it all the time and don't feel judged everytime I go out without it. 
It probably sounds ridiculous to many of you reading this, but I truly think going make up free for a month helped my confidence a lot, it also saves a lot of money, as I wasn't buying replacement make up products every few weeks, so as an incentive you could put all the money you would normally spend in a month in a jar and buy a high end product at the end as a reward, or simply do it for yourself, but I would certainly reccommend a skin detox, even if it's just for a week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment