Sunday 25 January 2015

Healthy Meals on a Budget


As a student, it's so tempting to just eat takeaways and at the SU the entire time but I would really miss fresh food if I did that (sad I know!) but also eating healthily can be beneficial for your skin and health, so I thought I would compile a few example meals/snacks which can be made on a budget but are healthy and tasty! 
Houmous & Pitta: The great thing about this meal is that houmous is so versatile and so if you don't like the vegetable ideas that I used, you can simply change it up for your preference, so cucumber and pepper instead or asparagus and carrot or even grapes! The possibilities are endless... I also love adding in some wholemeal pitta bread for carbs as it's a nice alternative to bread. I used asparagus because it's become one of my FAVOURITE veggies, it literally takes 2 minutes too boil and is delicious! Vegetables really can be very cheap, especially if you chip in with some friends and are part of your 'five a day' so perfect for fighting off all of those unwanted uni bugs circulating the halls!

Granola with Yoghurt and Fruit: Personally, I went for grapes and greek yoghurt simply because grapes are quite cheap and last for a long time, so theres no pressure to eat them all at once. I find myself wasting strawberries and other such fruit because they don't last long enough - the worst was when they delivered two punnets of strawberries which had two days before sell by (they're still frozen in my freezer!) I felt like I had strawberries coming out of my ears! This breakfast/snack is perfect for early mornings, it keeps you going throughout the day and is also so quick to prepare- it doesn't require much! So perfect if you are in a rush and just need a quick fuel stop.

Soup: Soup is one of my favourites, sometimes I'll make a big batch of it and freeze it for later dates, but sometimes I will just buy a tub of soup. It's cheap and packed with vitamins and vegetables, so perfect for staying healthy. I also love soup for keeping me warm in the winter as its SO cold, and it's so filling so you don't need to snack throughout the day (although, not going to lie- it doesn't stop me chomping through custard creams.)

Stir Fry: Again; stir fry is so versatile, you can use any meat really and any vegetables as well... I mean the other day I used meatballs and it was delicious! Stir fry is great because it's so quick to make and is packed with vegetables and good things which fill you up. You can buy packets of stir fry sauces for about £0.50 from supermarkets which serve two; so not expensive at all.

I know it's slightly different and there will be more beauty posts up next week but I hope it's been useful and may give you a couple of ideas for future snacks or meals on a budget, I do notice a difference in my skin when I miss fruit and vegetables for a while and so along with drinking a lot of water they work wonders!

4 comments:

  1. Larrrve the houmous, Im literally living on soup at the moment too due to my wisdom teeth nightmare haha, lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Houmous is so nice! aww really? hope you're okay :) xx

      Delete
  2. My College is pretty much at the centre of our town, so junk food is such an easy option especially when I get three breaks during class each day! :( However I've been trying to bring my own food, that way I can save money as well as monitor what I eat! I love this post in particular :) x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my goodness I found exactly the same thing when I was at college! The temptation for curly fries was sometimes just too much! Bringing your own packed lunch is always such a good idea :) Thank you, glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete